Thursday, May 17, 2012

Disc07's NES PC Build: Part 1.2b (The Memory)

Today we are taking a look at the memory of my upcoming system. When it comes to memory, pretty much any sticks will do. The motherboard I am planning on using supports up to 32 gigs of ram, but I decided to go with a quarter of that with an 8GB kit; anything more than that would almost be overkill with what I am planning on doing, so in my case, cheaper (and smaller) is better.

About a week ago Newegg was running a sweet deal for 15% off of all memory, so I splurged and got a name-brand set that I knew I could trust: Corsair. I decided on the Corsair Vengeance LP series of memory.

Corsair never ceases to amaze with their excellent packaging! No annoying blister packs here! 
Like many of the newer builds out there, these clock in with DDR3 1600MHz speeds with a latency of 9, and 9-9-9-24 timing. The voltage drawn from these is only 1.5 volts, so as per energy, these things wont be pulling much from the PSU. I chose to go with the LP series of ram simply because space is a hot commodity in my case; the giant "cocks-comb" style heat spreaders that come on the others within the Vengeance series were just to much, and in my honest opinion, only really visually appealing and wont have much to do with the actual heat produced from the memory modules. These do come equipped with heat spreaders, but they are not a ridiculous size like other series' or brands, hence the Low-Profile branding on the modules.

No annoyingly huge heatsink!! But still very stylish! 
So far this build is coming along very well; there is still no motherboard in my hands as of yet, but hopefully one will be here by next week, and we can get the ball rolling on some Diablo III action! Here is what it looks like so far:


  • Intel i5 3550 ($189.99)
  • Corsair Vengeance LP 8GB (2x4GB) Memory Module ($42.49)

  • Total Savings: $27.50 

  • Total Price: $232.48

  • If you haven't noticed by now, space is going to be a HARD thing to come by in my build. There is a specific reason for this and hopefully all of my ideas will come to fruition in the end and the product will be spectacular! With this being said, next Monday's post will be about just that: The Case...


    Until then, Disc07 Out.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment