Tuesday, August 16, 2011

So. How is the 3DS?

The truth is, the 3DS may be the greatest handheld gaming device that I have ever owned. Ever. Now I'm not trying to down play the influence of the GameBoys, GameGears, PSPs, or phones, but this is simply incredible. I haven't had this much fun with a portable gaming device since I got my first GameBoy Color at 11. I purchased The Legend of Zelda: The Ocarina of Time. This game is equally as amazing.



So what makes it so great? The top screen as many of you know displays images and video in stereoscopic 3D. It does this without using any 3D glasses at all. It is currently the only screen on the market that can do this. And it has a slider on the side of the screen that allows you to adjust the depth of the 3D.

It also has several built-in programs that show off the 3D and graphical capabilities of the 3DS. The first is a game called FaceRaiders which has you take a picture of someone, and you move the 3DS around (using the 3DS's built-in gyroscope) and you shoot at small floating incarnations of that face. On the front of the 3DS are 2 cameras which combine to form 1 3D camera. Another built-in game is called AR Games. It uses the included augmented reality cards to play a series of mini-games and it also includes several cards of popular Nintendo characters.



As I mentioned earlier, I also purchased the 3D remake of the single-highest rated video game of all time The Legend of Zelda: The Ocarina of Time.  I have a bit of a confusion, I never played the game on the Nintendo 64, largely because, I didn't own a 64. However I did play the game when it came on The Legend of Zelda: Collector's Edition for the GameCube, which was The Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask, The Legend of Zelda (1), and Zelda 2. I loved the game, but was never able to finish because my disk was lost. I am grateful that I am now able to finish the game, and it looks incredible. The graphics have been given a significant face-lift and the controls feel great with the circle pad. Also the fact that the songs you have learned are actually saved on the lower screen easy to pull up when you forget them. And speaking of the lower screen, that's where your items and maps are and it works great. Look for an in-depth review when I have completed the game.


All in all, I have to say I can't recommend the 3DS enough. Especially now that it is $169.99. And if you are a Nintendo fan or have been, you need one of these. And if you are a Legend of Zelda fan, you need this system and you need this game. It will play better then you remember, and it looks even better. Now go. Buy a 3DS, buy The Ocarina of Time 3D.
And also know, Star Fox 64 3D is also coming out soon. So if you have fond memories of that game, you need this system.


That is all. Carry on!

-Spieg89

2 comments: