Monday, September 5, 2011

Guild Wars 2: The Future of MMO Gaming?

First off let me start by saying that, about a year ago, I practically vowed to never play another MMO game ever again because I didn't want my life needlessly sucked away, and I really didn't have the time it takes to practically have a second life dedicated to an MMO anyway.

Then, after hearing a friend of mine rave on about Guild Wars 2 for a while, I finally took a look into it. After reading about it and watching some trailers and reviews, I was sold. Finally, an MMO that overcomes all the things that I view as "MMO killers", such as endless boring grinding for levels, enemies that just stand around waiting for you to approach them, battle systems that get boring fast, etc. I could talk practically endlessly about why I think GW2 is the next step in MMO gaming, but the videos I'm about to post are worth 1,000,000 words (yes, pictures are just worth 1,000 words :P).

Here's the first video you should see about GW2:


And here's the newest trailer:


And if you want to dig a bit deeper and get some more epic info and to see some action, here's a fairly long epic demo:


Now, I'm a casual gamer and I've always gotten left behind by my friends when playing an MMO because I don't play for a week and they end up getting 5-10 levels ahead of me or something. Every other MMO game I know of practically forces you to invest hours upon hours and you can't go a day without playing or you'll get left behind. But I want to do it on my own pace while not getting left behind. GW2 allows you to do this, and it's never lame for a high level character to join a low level character. In other MMO games, it's always sacrificing fun for the person with the high level character to go back and help build up a the guy with a low level. GW2 breaks that and strives to make it an enjoyable experience no matter what. There are so many awesome things about GW2, but my favorite things are: the beautiful and persistent world, the more co-op epic good feeling social aspect as opposed to the usual competitive anti-social feel, THE MUSIC IS DONE BY JEREMY SOULE, an interesting personalized story, no stinking subscription fee, and so many other things.

So what do you think? Is GW2 going to set the new standard of MMO gaming? I think I sense WoW (more directly, Blizzard) trembling in fear.

No comments:

Post a Comment