Saturday, July 21, 2012

Dark Knight Rises Review

Ok so first off I want you guys to know this is going to be a spoiler free discussion on the movie. I believe that all of the things that could be spoiled must be seen on the screen as they are presented in a manner that is very, very good. 


I do want to start off with a little background information. For those of you who don't know, this is the third and final film in the Christopher Nolan/Christian Bale Batman trilogy. Batman Begins kicked off the reboot taking Batman in a much needed more serious direction. It showed how Batman got started and introduced us to two great Batman villains, Scarecrow and Ra's al Ghul. It was met with both critical and financial success. It was followed up 3 years later by Dark Knight. Dark Knight introduced us to Joker (portrayed by Heath Leadger in what is arguably his best role ever). Dark Knight was also significant because it was the highest grossing comic book movie of all time... until The Avengers broke that record this summer. And now 4 years later Dark Knight Rises is out showing us Bane and Catwoman. 


Now this is a fairly long movie so you guys should be prepared to sit for a while clocking in at 2 hours 45 minutes. I also want to let you know there may be a trailer of next summer's Man of Steel which I am personally looking forward to. I say the trailer may be there because depending on the theater it may or may not be there. The movie doesn't feel like a 3 hour movie though. The editing and writing push the action along at a very fast pace. I did see the movie in IMAX and it looked incredible. I would recommend to see it that way if you can afford it. I am a huge Batman nerd and this movie really rewards it like few other movies I have seen before it

I would like to make some recommendations of how to prepare yourself for this movie as well. First I would recommend you go and watch Batman Begins before you see this movie. A lot of the key plot elements tie back to that movie much more so then to Dark Knight. One of the things I like most about these movies is that they don't retell a specific Batman story but take a lot of elements from various Batman stories over the years. There are some Batman books that I would recommend you read because this movie takes a lot of elements from them. The first is Batman: Long Halloween. The second is Batman Knightfall. I do recommend reading both volumes of Knightfall. Knightfall is also pretty significant as it is basically the most definitive Bane story.


No go out and watch it. Watch it now!
That is all. Carry On!

-Spieg89

No comments:

Post a Comment